Contact us
0161 794 6215 (Term Time 8am-4pm) Sefton Road
M27 6JU
Who can I speak to about my child?

In the first instance, parents/carers should contact their child’s Pupil Progress Coordinator, Year Manager or Form Tutor, they are the best placed person to speak to you about any concerns.

Year 7
Miss Torkington, Pupil Progress Coordinator:
Mr Bowcott, Year Manager:

Year 8
Mr Robinson, Pupil Progress Coordinator:
Mrs Mooney, Year Manager:

Year 9
Mrs Simpson, Pupil Progress Coordinator:
Mrs Mooney, Year Manager:

Year 10
Mr Dodd, Pupil Progress Coordinator:
Mrs Howarth, Year Manager:

Year 11
Mr Cavanah, Pupil Progress Coordinator:
Mrs Howarth, Year Manager:

Who should I call if my child is absent from school?

Parents/carers have a responsibility to contact school on their child’s first day of absence before 8:30am

Please contact us on our main academy line: 0161 794 6215 and select ‘Option 1’ for absence/attendance

Alternatively you can send us a message via our SIMS Parent App – please ensure your message is titled ‘Student Absence’

Find more information on attendance here: Attendance/Absence

Who can I contact for general enquiries?

Please get in touch with the team in our main office on 0161 794 6215. They’ll make sure you get through to who can help you best.

Alternatively, you can email your enquiry to:

Who is the Head of Academy?

Our Head of Academy is Mrs Zarina Ali.

Find out more about Mrs Ali HERE

Who is the academy's Designated Safeguarding Lead?

Our Designated Safeguarding Lead is Miss Sarah Withers.

Our Safeguarding Team are:

  • Head of Academy – Mrs Zarina Ali
  • Deputy Headteacher (Designated Safeguarding Lead) – Miss Sarah Withers
  • Child Protection Officer (Deputy Safeguarding Lead) – Mr Lawrence Duke
  • Named Governor for LAC/Child Protection – Mr Andrew Hay

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated Safeguarding team on: 0161 794 6215

Who do I contact about Special Educational Needs or Looked After Children?

Our Special Education Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCO) is Mr D Daly:
For more information, please see the SEND page of our website

Child Protection Officer and Looked After Children is Mr L Duke:

Who is the academy's Careers Lead?

Our Careers Lead is our Assistant Headteacher, Mrs F Fagan:

For more information about Careers Support, please see the Careers page of our website

Who is the GDPR Ambassador and Data Protection Officer?

Our GDPR Ambassador is Mrs Beth Maher
0161 794 6215

Our Data Protection Officer is GDPR Sentry Ltd
4 Highfiled Court
Greenfold Lane
LS22 6RG
0113 804 2035

How do I contact the Co-op Academies Trust?

Any complaint or concern should be raised via our Chair of Governors, this is clearly outlined in our Complaints Policy. The contact for our Governing Body is: FAO Chair of Governors, Mr S Plunkett, Co-op Academy Swinton, Sefton Road, Pendlebury, Manchester M27 6JU

Following this, should you still wish to contact the Co-op Academies Trust, you can write to the Central Team at: X99 Co-op Academies, 8th Floor, 1 Angel Square, Manchester, M60 0AG. Please mark all envelopes with X99 to ensure it reaches the Trust.

How do I contact the Governing Body?

Our Chair of Governors is Mr Andrew Hay

To contact the Governing Body, please write to: FAO Chair of Governors, Mr A Hay, Co-op Academy Swinton, Sefton Road, Pendlebury, Manchester M27 6JU

How do I make a complaint?

If you wish to make a complaint, you should do so in accordance with our Trust Complaints Policy

The procedure allows parents, carers or anyone else to raise a concern or complaint relating to the academy or Co-op Academies Trust.

The procedure is divided into three stages:

  • Stage One (The Informal Stage) you should speak to a staff member in the academy to see if they can resolve the issue.
  • Stage Two (The Formal Stage) is the point at which you should put the complaint in writing to the Headteacher or another senior member of staff. Where the complaint is against the Headteacher, you should write to the Chair of Governors at our school address. Address the letter or email to ‘Chair of Governors’.
  • Stage Three (Formal Resolution) is the final stage. It involves a hearing before a panel including governors and an independent person who will review the complaint in its entirety.
Requests for paper copies

Should you require paper copies of any of the information on this website, please contact our Marketing Manager on 0161 794 6215 or email:

Please let us know what information you require. This will be provided free of charge.