Exams/Year 11 Information
This page contains the most up to date information on the latest exam guidance
How Year 11 GCSE’s will be determined Summer 2021?
Following the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, the UK government has decided that the Summer 2021 examination series will not go ahead as planned. Instead, teachers will determine grades, based upon a range of evidence verified by schools/colleges.
These results will then be reviewed by the exam boards who designed each course, before awarding the final grades which reflect the student’s performance on content they have been taught, and allow them to confidently progress to the next stage of their education or into employment.
This JCQ document (link below) is an overview of the most important information that students and parents/carers need to know about how grades will be awarded this summer. This includes a timeline of what is happening and when; how teachers, schools and colleges will determine grades; and when students will receive results.
JCQ and the exam boards have been working together actively to support teachers, schools and colleges to determine grades this summer. Schools and colleges will be setting their own approach for teachers to follow which will be developed in line with guidance from the exam boards, Ofqual and the Department for Education.
What is happening and when – An overview of how GCSE’s will be determined 2021
Guidance for students, parents/carers: GCSEs in England Summer 2021
Please see the PDF document below for more detailed guidance and timescales.
GCSE Results Day-12 August 2021
Results day has been changed by the DfE to Thursday 12 August 2021. We will follow a similar process to last year which is outlined below.
- Year 11 students will be able to collect their results in person from 10am-12 noon on Thursday 12 August. Please note that only the Year 11 student can attend and enter to collect their results.
- This will be managed via a one-way entry and exit system with staff asking students to line up on the 2 metre dots outside on Sefton Road.
- Only two students at one time will be able to enter the building via the student entrance to collect their results on the main corridor before exiting the building via the school reception.
- Hand sanitising stations will be in place at the entrance and exit and our staff will ask students to use these as they enter and leave the building.
- Parents/carers will not be able to enter the building with their child but are more than welcome to wait outside the gates whilst maintaining a safe distance from others.
- Any results not collected on Thursday 12 August will be posted on Friday 13 August to the home address that we have on our SIMS system. If your home address has changed please can you inform us of this ASAP.
Year 11 end of year grades have been moderated in line with the Ofqual guidance by our Heads of Department, Senior Leaders and the Trust. Exam boards have also been moderating our data and are working with us extensively which will continue until the end of this academic year. The emphasis has been on ensuring our processes are robust and that all students receive an evidence-based grade.
Students who wish to appeal their grades for any subject, can do so from Friday 13 August, 9am to Wednesday 18 August, 9am. A form will be available on the school website for students to complete and submit. Any appeals received within the dates above will be processed and an email of confirmation will be sent to students by the end of Wednesday 18 August. Any appeals received after these dates will be processed when the new academic year begins in September. When students request an appeal, we will firstly check for any administrative errors that may have occurred when uploading their grades (Stage 1 Appeal). If students wish for an appeal to be sent to the exam board, they must provide evidence of why they are requesting an appeal in the ‘evidence for an appeal’ box (Stage 2 Appeal). It is essential that they complete this box as we cannot add any further detail as by this point, we will have been fully moderated. We will submit this on their behalf and provide them with the outcome when we receive this from the exam board.
All information relating to results day, our appeals process and further education links will be live on the academy website from Monday 9 August.