Our Academy approach to behaviour is positive and places an emphasis on praise, encouragement and rewards for making good choices. Our basic expectations for developing good learning habits are rooted in our core values of STRIVE:
Success: Stay on task in lessons
Togetherness: Be on time
Respect: Listen when others are speaking
Independence: Have the basic equipment with you for all your lessons
Versatility: Use the correct presentation and learning skills for each subject
Effort: Ensure homework is handed in on time and to a good standard
We expect all our students to;
- Treat others with respect, in keeping with the ethos of our academy
- Be polite and helpful to others
- Work to the best of your ability
- Be punctual to the academy and to lessons and attend daily
- Ensure you have all the equipment needed for lessons, including your student planner and cashless system card
- Always wear the correct academy uniform and be tidy in appearance
- Look after the environment of our academy and our community as a whole
- Ensure your classwork and homework is well presented, completed to the best of your ability and handed in on time
- Behave appropriately at all times – whether that is in the academy, arriving or leaving and when representing the academy in extra-curricular activities
STRIVE : Behaviour for Learning System
Students must realise that making good choices around positive learning behaviours will be rewarded whilst making poor choices will have consequences. Our STRIVE system of consequences are as follows:
A student will be given two reminders to help them make the correct choice for learning. If after that they choose not to uphold the STRIVE learning standards they will receive a SAME DAY 30 minute detention AFTER SCHOOL. Students will be informed of the detention by the class teacher and we will make every effort to notify parents/carers by text of a same day detention before 3pm that day.
Should a student continue to make inappropriate choices there will be an escalation of consequences as follows:
- Not attending the 30 minute after school correction will result in a 1 hour detention after school the following day
- Failing or not attending the 1 hour detention will result in being isolated and spending the next day with the Form Tutor/Form Team
- Failing the isolation with the Form Tutor will result in a day in Retreat
- Failing a day in Retreat will result in a day in Retreat+
- Failing the day in Retreat+ will result in a fixed term exclusion from the Academy.
Should any student choose to exhibit extremely challenging behaviour (such as swearing at a member of staff) they will be immediately isolated with the form team and then spend the next day in Retreat.
Students upholding the STRIVE learning standards for the week, and therefore not having any after school corrections, will be allowed to leave school at 2:30pm on Friday instead of attending form time.